A Bite of Fitness

Cooking Product: Coconut Oil

Okay wow this past week has been INSANE! I mean between all the great products I found while shopping at the grocery store, prepping meals, baking up new healthy treats, and going to classes... I mean seriously, we are already almost through this week!  Staying healthy and on track really makes the time fly:)

I finally decided to do it... I bought coconut oil.  And it is everything to me!  I have already used it to sauté veggies, roast my sweet potatoes, and as a hand lotion.  I mean coconut oil is seriously the most magical thing on this planet.  We have been hearing great things about coconut oil for a little bit of time now but it def takes Jackie and I some researching before we just jump on the band wagon.  If you haven't ever used coconut oil it substitutes cup for cup in place of butter or any oils.  The flavor is also amazing!  You don't even have to be a coconut lover to use it.

Let me just list a few amazing things you can do with coconut oil:

1. Sauté any kind of veggies.
2. As a moisturizer for your skin.
3. In place of butter or oil in baking.
4. As a butter topping on freshly popped popcorn.
5. In your coffee.  Yes, I said it.
6. On toast or a bagel instead of butter.
7. As a sunscreen.
8. In place of chapstick... this one is for Jackie:)
9. In hot tea, this is especially great if you have a cold.
10. Blended into smoothies.

Some benefits of coconut oil include:

1. As a metabolism booster.
2. Energy source.
3. Studies have shown it can reduce cholesterol.
4. Helps digestion.
5. Can help prevent sickness.


I mean, how have I not sold you on this wonderful product?  And this is only a few of the many things it does!

If you are looking for an easy and healthy way to use coconut oil, check out our Shrimp Sauté down below... Also be sure to share with us if you have any great recipes for coconut oil.


Shrimp Saute  
serves 1

1 small sweet potato
1 bunch of green beans, ends cut
10 small raw shrimp 
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Salt
Pepper 
Garlic 
Dash of your favorite stir fry sauce


1. In a skillet over medium heat, melt down the coconut oil.
2. Cut the sweet potato into small cubes and add to skillet.
3. Once the potatoes start to cook add in prepared green beans. 

4. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic. 
5. Add in shrimp. 
6. Add in a dash of stir fry sauce just for flavor. 
7. Finish cooking until shrimp are all the way done.



Be sure to check back for more posts on coconut oil... You may say we are a little obsessed. ;)
























Happy Eating,
Jackie & Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment